Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 12 slices French bread, 1-inch thick
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- place bread in sprayed 13x9" baking pan --
- combine eggs, milk, salt, nutmeg and vanilla.beat well.pour mixture over bread, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- melt 1 tbls butter in electric skillet at 300*.
- remove 6 slices of bread and cook in butter 10-12 minutes on each side or cooked through.
- repeat with remainder of bread.
- to prepare ORANGE BUTTER:.
- combine softened butter, and powdered sugar till light and fluffy -- add orange juce and beat till well blended.
- makes 2 cups of orange butter.enough for bread.will keep in refrigerator a couple of weeks.if it lasts that long.