Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Paula Deen made these on her show. They look so yummy!
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1⁄4 cup coarsley chopped walnuts
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 slices egg bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- maple syrup or jam, for serving
- In shallow bowl, using a fork, beat the eggs until light and frothy.
- Stir in the milk and set aside.
- Peel bananas into a small bowl and mash with a fork.
- Stir in walnuts and nutmeg.
- Spread banana mixture over 1/2 of bread slices, leaving a 1/4 inch boarder uncovered on all edges.
- Top with remaining bread slices and press down gently to seal.
- Places two sandwiches in the egg mixture and press down gently.
- Turn over and let soak for a moment until evenly saturated on both sides.
- Repeat with the other two remaining sandwiches.
- In frying pan or griddle, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Place sandwiches on griddle or frying pan and fry until undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining butter, flip sandwiches with a spatula and fry until golden brown.
- Place sandwiches on plates and dust with confectioner's sugar.
- Serve with maple syrup or jam.
This was very good. The banana filling was excellent. I made this for breakfast this morning and DH really enjoyed. I used sour dough bread instead of the egg bread, but otherwise make as directed. The middle was just a little soggy, but still tasted good. Thanks for posting.