Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Southern Living; This is one of my family's favorite Sunday night suppers. Just add a simple green salad and you have a wonderful quick meal.
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained and flaked
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄4 cup salad dressing
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- Mix together tuna, celery, onion, pickle relish, and mayo.
- Spread 4 slices of bread with tuna mixture; top each with another slice of bread.
- Mix together eggs and milk.
- Dip sandwiches into egg mixture.
- Saute in butter over medium heat 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
I really like the idea of the French Toast sandwich. I didn't change a thing. Next time though, I will probably change the filling a little. A little salt and pepper and maybe some jalapeno peppers. Add a little more spice! But overall, it is perfect the way it is now! Thanks for the new idea of making tuna sandwiches!
This was a great recipe. My husband comes home for lunch every day, so I like to try new sandwich ideas. I don't do sweet pickle relish, as I like to keep the tuna salad savory, I seasoned with celery salt and lemon pepper, and I dipped it in parmesan before grilling in butter. Also good with a slice of cheese or a spread of cream cheese on the inside.
I made these sandwiches to go with a hot bowl of soup. Ummmm, so wonderful. A little messy dipping the sandwiches in the egg mixture but the taste was worth it. Good comfort food. Thanks Nurse Di.