Recipe by evelyn/athens
As per a recipe request.
Top Review by Sharon123
Man was this good! I fixed this for my husband who saw the commercial on TV about the french toast at IHOP and said he wanted that! I used whole wheat bread and halved the recipe. Of course after I tasted it I fixed the rest of the recipe!I didn't have fresh strawberries so I put a spoonful of strawberry jam on top of a dollop of sour cream, then drizzled the whole thing with maple syrup. So yummy! Thanks so much Evelyn for this scrumptious recipe!!!!!
- 4 slices bread, use a good quality,bakery loaf
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cinnamon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry, cut up
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each slice of bread in half.
- Beat eggs with milk and pinch of salt.
- In separate bowl, mash cheese until smooth with cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla, adjusting to taste.
- Spread one-fourth of cheese filling evenly over four slices of bread.
- Top with unspread slices of bread to form half-sandwiches.
- Dip and soak each sandwich in egg-milk mixture, turning so both sides of each sandwich absorb liquid.
- Let excess drip off.
- Heat unsalted butter in 10 inch skillet, and when hot but not brown, add sandwiches.
- Reduce heat and fry slowly for 5 to 7 minutes, or until first side is golden.
- Turn and brown second side over low heat.
- If sandwiches fry too quickly, filling will not be warm.
- Serve immediately, allowing 2 halves to each portion.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and top with sour cream and strawberries.