Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
As per a recipe request.
Make and share this French Toast (stuffed with Cream Cheese) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices bread, use a good quality,bakery loaf
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cinnamon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry, cut up
- Cut each slice of bread in half.
- Beat eggs with milk and pinch of salt.
- In separate bowl, mash cheese until smooth with cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla, adjusting to taste.
- Spread one-fourth of cheese filling evenly over four slices of bread.
- Top with unspread slices of bread to form half-sandwiches.
- Dip and soak each sandwich in egg-milk mixture, turning so both sides of each sandwich absorb liquid.
- Let excess drip off.
- Heat unsalted butter in 10 inch skillet, and when hot but not brown, add sandwiches.
- Reduce heat and fry slowly for 5 to 7 minutes, or until first side is golden.
- Turn and brown second side over low heat.
- If sandwiches fry too quickly, filling will not be warm.
- Serve immediately, allowing 2 halves to each portion.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and top with sour cream and strawberries.
Man was this good! I fixed this for my husband who saw the commercial on TV about the french toast at IHOP and said he wanted that! I used whole wheat bread and halved the recipe. Of course after I tasted it I fixed the rest of the recipe!I didn't have fresh strawberries so I put a spoonful of strawberry jam on top of a dollop of sour cream, then drizzled the whole thing with maple syrup. So yummy! Thanks so much Evelyn for this scrumptious recipe!!!!!
This is a family favorite now.
My husband and I had this for dinner a couple of nights ago and it was amazing. We'd never had stuffed french toast before, but commercials have always made it look REALLY good. This recipe certainly did not disappoint! The directions were easy to follow, and the key really does seem to be frying the toast low and slow to make it crisp, golden, and with a perfectly warmed creamy filling. I used Texas toast for the bread and topped it with a homemade strawberry syrup made from frozen strawberries. So decadent and extremely delicious. Thank you SO much for sharing this new family favorite!