Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful maple-flavored baked french toast breakfast casserole with apples, raisins, and nuts from Yankee Magazine. Time does not include chilling time.
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread or 1⁄2 loaf Italian bread (1-pound)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Slice the bread into 1/2" slices, then halve the slices; set aside.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and saute the apple until just softened, about 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the raisins, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/2 cup of the sour cream.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, maple syrup, and the remaining 1/2 cup of sour cream.
- Butter a 10" pie plate or a 9" square baking dish.
- Layer half the bread in the prepared baking dish, spread the apple and sour cream mixture over the bread; then layer with the remaining bread.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture over all and cover.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2-24 hours.
- When ready to prepare, preheat the oven to 325 and bake the strata, uncovered, 50-60 minutes, or until set and lightly browned.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.