Recipe by Miss Annie
This is a good recipe to use when company comes or when you are entertaining for brunch. Sometimes, I add dried apricots, snipped into small pieces. The apple syrup (in database) is very good with this too. Prep time includes 8 hours in refrigerator.
Top Review by LAURIE
What a super breakfast this made on Easter morning. Loved the addition of the cream cheese, and I did make your apple syrup. Had maple bacon and sausages and some fresh fruit! Great recipe Annie, TY!
- 1 lb French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9x13x2 rectangular baking dish.
- Place half the bread cubes in the dish.
- Sprinkle with cream cheese cubes and then remaining bread cubes.
- Combine eggs, cream, melted butter and syrup.
- Mix well and pour over bread and cheese cubes.
- Using a spatula, press layers down to moisten.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake uncovered for 35- 40 minutes at 350ºF, or until set and golden brown.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before cutting.
- Top with your favorite syrup, or apple cider syrup (see database), or a big dollop of whipped cream.