Recipe by JillAZ
I got this basic recipe from another site but changed it a little for my family. The original recipe called for orange juice as the liquid instead of milk. I also added the vanilla as we think it gives it a nice flavor.
Top Review by barbacious
This is really great to have on hand in the freezer.
I would reccomend not cutting the bread into 1/3's until after baking. The middle piece tends to break easily when dipped.
I really like this NOT cut but using whole slices of bread.
- 8 slices bread (Texas Toast style or French)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut each slice of bread into 3 pieces to make sticks. Texas Toast is a very thick sliced bread about 3/4" thick. You could substitute french bread if Texas toast is not available.
- In a bowl, mix together melted butter, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and milk. Beat well.
- Dip sticks into egg mixture and place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- If there is any dip left, you can drizzle it over the sticks.
- Bake for 25 minutes on middle rack of oven. Turn halfway through baking time.
- Allow to cool.
- Flash freeze on cookie sheet, remove and place in a ziploc bag.
- To reheat: place 3 sticks on a microwave-safe plate and heat on high for 1 minute until warm. Serve with syrup.