I got this basic recipe from another site but changed it a little for my family. The original recipe called for orange juice as the liquid instead of milk. I also added the vanilla as we think it gives it a nice flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut each slice of bread into 3 pieces to make sticks. Texas Toast is a very thick sliced bread about 3/4" thick. You could substitute french bread if Texas toast is not available.
- In a bowl, mix together melted butter, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and milk. Beat well.
- Dip sticks into egg mixture and place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- If there is any dip left, you can drizzle it over the sticks.
- Bake for 25 minutes on middle rack of oven. Turn halfway through baking time.
- Allow to cool.
- Flash freeze on cookie sheet, remove and place in a ziploc bag.
- To reheat: place 3 sticks on a microwave-safe plate and heat on high for 1 minute until warm. Serve with syrup.
This is really great to have on hand in the freezer.
I would reccomend not cutting the bread into 1/3's until after baking. The middle piece tends to break easily when dipped.
I really like this NOT cut but using whole slices of bread.
These were so good that they never made it to the freezer. Everyone liked them and that is quite an accomplishment in my house. I made them exactly as written, except I forgot to turn them halfway but they were great anyway. Thanks for such a great recipe. UPDATE Today I was in a hurry making these and I forgot to add in the melted butter. My kids and I could not tell the difference. So from now on, I will not add the butter.
Oh my gosh these are so good. Although they did not ever make it to the freezer as planned. I love the ease of it all. My only suggestion is to make sure you spray the pan well with cooking spray. I did a light spray and had to fight to get some to turn over. Definately will make many times again. Thanks!