Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
A marvelous brunch, perfect for Christmas, and easier to both make and clean up after than regular French toast. This is perfect topped with a little powdered sugar and maple syrup.
- 18 slices bread (wheat, white, whatever you make sandwiches with)
- 1 (24 ounce) can apple pie filling, mashed
- 1 cup raisins, plumped
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 10 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) evaporated milk
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350; bake whole slices of bread on cookie sheet until dry, toasting minimally. (Or use a toaster, or lie them out over night - just dehydrate them).
- Spread cream cheese on six slices; lay flat in greased 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Sandwich with another six slices.
- Spread pie filling over second layer; sprinkle over plumped raisins.
- Top with six more slices of bread.
- In large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, milks, vanilla, syrup, and spices.
- Pour over casserole.
- Refridgerate overnight.
- Place pan in oven before turning it on; turn oven to 350 and bake for 55-60 minutes or until set.
My boyfriend and friends LOVED this!!! It was a huge hit. It was so simple to make and was very filling. I even used low fat cream cheese and only 4 whole eggs and most of a small carton of egg whites. It was awesome. A bit rich and maybe only used on special occassions but it is awesome. Thanks so much!!
Made this for Christmas morning, and it was a big hit! Real easy to prepare. I took the suggestions of the other reviewers and didn't add maple syrup, and I'll probably won't when I make this again.
I made this recipe as per the instructions and I think that if/when I make this recipe again, I will definately leave out the maple syrup. It is VERY SWEET. Another change I might consider...althought the recipe does not say to, I might consider covering for at least half of the cooking time, mine came out VERY dark (not burnt) on the top.