Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Mr. Food...cooking time is really the freezing time.
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 236.59 ml sugar, divided
- 24 slice white bread
- 14.79 ml ground cinnamon
- 44.37 ml butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg yolk, and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth; set aside.
- Cut the crust off each slice of bread then roll out each slice with a rolling pin.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the bread, distributing evenly.
- Roll up each slice jelly roll-style and place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- In a shallow dish, mix the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Brush the butter over the roll-ups then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, until completely coated.
- Repeat with the remaining roll-ups, placing them on the baking sheet after coating.
- Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 months.
- Just before serving, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the roll-ups for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
I tried these today to give them a test run to see if I might want to make a larger batch for my 13 yo son. I used fat free cream cheese and they came out beautifully. I actually used two types of bread. White and Potato. The potato bread was a bit firmer-I preferred the white bread. I did not freeze them so I am interested to see how they taste after freezing but I can vouch that trying one fresh out of the oven is totally divine!!! These were so simple to make. A definite must have for anyone's recipe book!
I used this recipe as inspiration for something a teeny bit healthier. For filling, I used two over-ripe bananas, a teaspoon of vanilla, and a tablespoon of sugar for 5 rolls. I also used wheat bread and left the crust on, and used a butter substitute. The previous reviewer didn't freeze theirs and didn't have any complaints, so I didn't either. I'm sure the original version is much better than this one, and I think I would remove the crusts next time as well as make the filling out of a sugary fruit sauce instead. Pretty good, but not as good as our usual french toast or waffles.
Loved this! I spread the cream cheese mixture relatively thin and thought 3 roll-ups was a good serving size. I love that these are kept frozen in the freezer and take only 10 minutes to bake.