Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Mr. Food...cooking time is really the freezing time.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 24 slices white bread
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg yolk, and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth; set aside.
- Cut the crust off each slice of bread then roll out each slice with a rolling pin.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the bread, distributing evenly.
- Roll up each slice jelly roll-style and place seam side down on a baking sheet.
- In a shallow dish, mix the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Brush the butter over the roll-ups then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, until completely coated.
- Repeat with the remaining roll-ups, placing them on the baking sheet after coating.
- Cover and freeze for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 months.
- Just before serving, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the roll-ups for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
My family didn't really like these. They liked them better without the cream cheese.
I tried these today to give them a test run to see if I might want to make a larger batch for my 13 yo son. I used fat free cream cheese and they came out beautifully. I actually used two types of bread. White and Potato. The potato bread was a bit firmer-I preferred the white bread. I did not freeze them so I am interested to see how they taste after freezing but I can vouch that trying one fresh out of the oven is totally divine!!! These were so simple to make. A definite must have for anyone's recipe book!
My daughter's been making these for years since she was in junior high but she cuts them into bite-size pieces to use as a little dessert bites. Delish!