Recipe by Oolala
From the University of Iowa Graduate Student Senate online bulletin. I found this searching for coconut milk french toast! I had to make some changes to enter this into the zaar files! You can use banana chunks, kiwi, and other fruits too. Serve with syrup on the side. I guessed how many this serves since I haven't made it yet.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 12 ounces coconut milk
- 12 ounces eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- bamboo skewer
- 1 pint strawberry, hulled
- 1 pineapple, cored and cut into 1-inch rings
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine coconut milk, eggs and vanilla in a non-reactive bowl and whisk throughly.
- Cut bread into 1" thick slices and submerge it into the egg mixture and squeeze the bread a little with gentle pressure. Stop when there are no more air bubbles.
- Spread bread onto greased sheet pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until bread springs back slowly when touched.
- While bread is baking, grill pineapple rings until tender and then remove and cool.
- When coconut toast is done, remove from oven and cool. Remove from sheet pan.
- Cut the pineapple rings and the slices of toast into small pieces between 1" and 2".
- To assemble kabab, begin by soaking the skewers in water and then pat dry. Use this order to assemble: toast, pineapple, strawberry, toast.
- Serve several skewers per person or as a brunch buffet item, have the skewers sticking out of a watermelon.