1/2 Photos of French Toast [gluten-Free, Lactose & Casein Free]
What's Cooking?'s Note:
A delicious french toast recipe designed for use with gluten-free breads. It is lactose and casein free if you use ghee, or completely dairy-free if you use a dairy-free margarine (such as "Becel Vegan"). Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit. I made this with Food For Life's Brown Rice Bread but you can use it with any store-bought or homemade GF bread. Bon appetit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup almond milk (plain or vanilla) or 1/4 cup rice milk (plain or vanilla) or 1/4 cup soymilk (plain or vanilla)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons ghee or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1Whisk together all ingredients except ghee/butter/margarine and bread in a pie pan or small baking dish until thoroughly blended.
- 2Heat ghee, butter or margarine in non-stick pan or griddle over medium-high heat.
- 3If you're using a dense bread, such as those from Food for Life, Soak for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- 4If you're using a homemade bread or a softer or more crumbly bread, soak for only 1-2 minutes on each side.
- 5Using a fork or tongs, remove each slice of bread from the liquid and allow excess liquid to drip off.
- 6Place in hot ghee/butter/margarine and cook on each side until browned.
- 7Serve immediately with maple syrup, jam and/or fresh fruit.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Toast [gluten-Free, Lactose & Casein Free]
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.9
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 196.4 mg
- Sodium 353.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten free bread