Recipe by katie in the UP
I got this recipe years ago from a friend...hands down it's the best french toast I've ever eaten.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- nutmeg (to garnish)
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice bread in 1 inch slices.
- Beat eggs with 1/2 and 1/2, brown sugar and almond extract.
- Add bread slices, 5 to 10 minutes soaking time -- is plenty (unless you prefer a custard like texture than soak up to 30 minutes!).
- Place butter and oil in large saute skillet.
- When butter is melted (not browned) add bread and brown lightly (cooking slowly).
- Garnish with nutmeg and powdered sugar.
- (don't leave out the nutmeg!).