Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious breakfast casserole that's easy to make a serves a crowd. I buy very flaky fresh authentic croissants from the bakery to make this dish. You could substitute brioche also for the croissants. You can also top with fresh strawberries macerated in sugar.
- 10 croissants, cubed
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted rough chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, diced
- maple syrup, warmed
- powdered sugar (optional)
- butter, for pan
- Butter casserole dish.
- Cube 10 fresh croissants in large pieces.
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, brown sugar, spices, orange peel, salt.
- Pour egg mixture over croissants, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, preheat oven 350°F.
- Toast pecans in dry pan until lightly browned and toasted.
- Sprinkle nuts over cold casserole.
- Dot with diced butter.
- Bake uncovered 350F 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes then drizzle with warm maple syrup.
- To make warm maple syrup boil a pan of water.
- Take boiling water off heat and place maple syrup bottle in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup or powdered sugar or fresh strawberries macerated in sugar.
So good. I didn't have orange zest so I sliced bananas and mixed them throughout.