Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make certain to use 1 to 2 day-old bread for this, I strongly suggest not to double the amounts and bake in a larger baking dish, make two separate recipes and bake in two 8 x 8-inch casserole dishes, if you prefer a sweeter taste then increase the sugar amount.
- 6 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided (can use more)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 teaspoons butter, cubed (1-1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon
- maple syrup or pancake syrup
- Set oven to 350 degrees F (set oven rack to lowest position).
- Generously grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the bread cubes into the baking pan, then sprinkle the raisins over the bread.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs with milk 2 tablespoons brown sugar, salt and vanilla; pour evenly over the bread cubes.
- Sprinkle the butter cubes over the top.
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- In s small bowl combine the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar with 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm with maple syrup or pancake syrup.
Amazing! This recipe turned out better than I imagined. Yes, I did prepare the night before, refrigerate and bake the next day. Mmmm... delicious! Excellent way to easily feed a large number of people. I got rave reviews. Following the suggestion to divide multiple batches into separate casserole dishes results in a crispy crust with a moist center. Definitely try this one!
I must apologize for only posting the "before" pic of this dish...my Christmas Eve breakfast guests devoured it before I could get a pic of it when it came out of the oven! I used raisins on half and left the other plain. This definately has a "bread pudding" taste to it. I was generous with the brown sugar (I don't like syrup). I used 1/2% milk and next time I will use something thicker like cream or whole milk. Very yummy & quick to throw together. thanks!
This tasted just like french toast! I really liked it a lot. Due to the temps my oven puts out, I didn't put it on the bottom the whole time, it would have burned. Nevertheless, it cooked beautifully. I really liked that it didn't have to stand overnight.