Make certain to use 1 to 2 day-old bread for this, I strongly suggest not to double the amounts and bake in a larger baking dish, make two separate recipes and bake in two 8 x 8-inch casserole dishes, if you prefer a sweeter taste then increase the sugar amount.
- 6 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar, divided (can use more)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 teaspoons butter, cubed (1-1/2 tablespoon)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon
- maple syrup or pancake syrup
- Set oven to 350 degrees F (set oven rack to lowest position).
- Generously grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the bread cubes into the baking pan, then sprinkle the raisins over the bread.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs with milk 2 tablespoons brown sugar, salt and vanilla; pour evenly over the bread cubes.
- Sprinkle the butter cubes over the top.
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- In s small bowl combine the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar with 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm with maple syrup or pancake syrup.