Prep 9 hrs
Cook 50 mins
I got this recipe from a friend when looking for something different to serve for a holiday brunch. We like ours with fruit and honey. Goes really well with cheesy ham cups that I've also posted. The prep time is putting it together along with refrigerate time.
- 1 (10 ounce) French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (10 cups)
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- maple syrup (optional) or honey (optional)
- Cool Whip (optional)
- fruit, for topping (optional)
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt (if desired).
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Dot with butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Top serving with fruit and Cool Whip.
- Serve with syrup.
Loved this recipe. Try it with adding 8 oz. cubed cream cheese. Place 1/2 of cubed bread then cream cheese then remainder of bread. Also add 1/3 cup real maple syrup to mixture you pour over it.
Oh, this was excellent! I loved it because of the taste of French toast without all the dipping and frying. This was really good. I had some dried apricots, which I stewed, and served as a topping too, yummm! I have been trying dishes to take on a camping trip, and this one definately goes with me. Thanks for posting it.
Wonderful!!I did all prep the night before and forgot about it the next morning!Needless to say we had it for dessert that night.I added some chopped nuts and it was a hit!Thanks