Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
What makes this different from other French toast casseroles is that there is no need to refrigerate this one. Make and eat the same day!! (Great for Christmas morning)
- 1 loaf bread
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon light Karo syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- Cut crust off bread and cut into cubes.( I don't cut the crust off.).
- Put half of the bread in bottom of greased 9x13 pan.
- Dot bread with half of the cream cheese.
- Repeat another layer.
- Mix the next 6 ingredients together.
- Pour over the bread and cream cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
- For sauce:.
- Put this in a very large pan because it grows!
- Cook on medium heat the first 5 ingredients and stir until it comes to a boil.
- Boil 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add almond flavoring.
- To serve: Dish up the bread casserole. Pour sauce over bread mixture. Top with whipped cream and sliced strawberries and bananas.
All 6 adults LOVED this recipe and the four females asked for the recipe itself. Would be great even for a dessert!
i loved this recipe!! it was SOO good!!! thank you so much!!