Recipe by mom_of_4
What makes this different from other French toast casseroles is that there is no need to refrigerate this one. Make and eat the same day!! (Great for Christmas morning)
- 1 loaf bread
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon light Karo syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut crust off bread and cut into cubes.( I don't cut the crust off.).
- Put half of the bread in bottom of greased 9x13 pan.
- Dot bread with half of the cream cheese.
- Repeat another layer.
- Mix the next 6 ingredients together.
- Pour over the bread and cream cheese.
- Bake 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
- For sauce:.
- Put this in a very large pan because it grows!
- Cook on medium heat the first 5 ingredients and stir until it comes to a boil.
- Boil 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add almond flavoring.
- To serve: Dish up the bread casserole. Pour sauce over bread mixture. Top with whipped cream and sliced strawberries and bananas.