Recipe by Kimke
A wonderful make ahead addition to your Sunday brunch! Prep times includes overnight preparation time!
Top Review by KLHquilts
This recipe comes from singer/songwriter Christine Lavin, who has written a song about this and who gives the recipe out at her concerts. This recipe is as good as she is -- fabulous! The only difference is that she makes it in 2 loaf pans; I cut the recipe in half and make a single loaf pan. When cutting it in half, I make it with four eggs and skim milk, and it's fairly WW friendly, and extremely yummy.
- 12 ounces challah or 12 ounces raisin bread or 12 ounces other egg bread, with crust,torn into 3/4 inch pieces
- 7 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk or 2 1⁄2 cups 2% milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg or 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- warm maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Place bread in dish.
- Whisk eggs and next 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; pour over bread.
- Using spatula, lightly press down on bread to moisten completely.
- Cover with foil and chill overnight.
- Place foil-covered dish in cold oven.
- Set oven at 350°F and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake until pudding is puffed and golden brown, about 35 minutes longer.
- Spoon pudding onto plates, sprinkle with toasted nuts, and serve with warm maple syrup.