Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is sooooo yummy! I like to experiment with baking different fruits in it. So far, our favorites are blueberries, peaches and apples. It's great to assemle the night before and bake in the morning.
- 1 loaf italian white bread
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, melted
- 8 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup blueberries (optional) or 1 cup diced peaches (optional) or 1 cup apple (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 -6 teaspoons cornstarch (depending on desired thickness)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- Cut bread 2" cubes. Place half of the bread cubes in baking pan. Top with melted cream cheese. *add fruit on top of cream cheese if using fruit; optional**.
- Place remaining bread cubes on top. Beat together eggs, milk, 6 Tbsp butter and pour over top. Press down with spatula to moisten evenly. (can now cover and store in refridgerator for up to 24 hours, if desired.).
- Bake at 325 for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- For Syrup:.
- Cook all syrup ingredients in a saucepan until bubbly. Let stand at least 2 minutes before serving over french toast bake.
Thank you for sharing this excellant recipe. We enjoyed this dish so much,the only changes I made was to substitute fresh raspberries for blueberries or peaches. I used orange/mango juice for the syrup instead of apple juice as that was all I had. Absolutely wonderful.
Not sure what I did, but my bread cubes came up through the top during baking and became dry and gross. Also, the cream cheese layer wasn't very good-if I was going to try again, I would mix in some fruit and sugar or something. As it was, it was like eating a fried egg with plain cream cheese on top. I didn't try the syrup listed here, I used regular store bought syrup. Next time, I'll just get up early and make regular French toast.