This is a great make-ahead breakfast that will fill your home with the holiday aromas of cinnamon, spice and apples. It is a "soak overnight" casserole that mimics the flavors of french toast. Call it bread pudding if you like, but I know you'll call it delicious. It makes holiday morning cooking a breeze. I think I must have gotten this recipe from Taste of Home.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and add apples. Stir occasionally until tender.
- Add brown sugar and corn syrup.
- Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into buttered 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Arrange bread slices over apple mixture.
- In bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, salt and cinnamon until blended.
- Pour mixture evenly over mixture in pan.
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove cover and bake for 35-45 minutes or until firm and brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then flip onto large platter or foil covered cookie sheet with 1-inch edge.