Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Found this interesting twist of French toast on the web which turns classic French toast into a light and sweet French toast breakfast. Substitute blueberries or raspberries in place of strawberries. Also makes a great dessert!
- one 7 to 8-inch angel food cake (store bought)
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- whipped cream (or creme fraiche)
- maple syrup
- cut-up fresh strawberries
- Slice the angel food cake into 10 to 12, 1-inch thick wedges.
- In a shallow dish combine eggs, milk, sugar; and vanilla.
- Soak wedges in egg mixture for 1 minute per side.
- In a nontick skillet or on a nonstick griddle melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook 4 wedges at a time for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- To serve, stand slices in cake formation.
- Top with whipped cream or creme fraiche.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and top with strawberries.
- Serve immediately.