Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
From the Weekend magazine, Foodcourt column on "Breakfast".
Top Review by Emur80
Yummy! This made a great change of pace from our usual Sat. morning grits. I used reduced fat butter, which I would NOT recomend. It was still delicious, but the reduced fat butter made the frying process difficult to manage.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 -5 drops vanilla essence
- 4 -5 slices stale bread
- 2 eggs
- 3 -5 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil milk with sugar and essence.
- Remove from heat.
- Set aside.
- Soak bread slices in milk for a few seconds without letting bread fall apart.
- Then dip bread slices one at a time in beaten eggs.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Fry the slices in the butter.
- When golden in colour, turn the bread slices over and cook the other side.
- Arrange the slices in a serving dish.
- Sprinkle some castor sugar over the slices.
- Serve warm.