Recipe by cuisinebymae
I found the original recipe on a McCalls recipe card. I like it smothered in corn syrup.
Top Review by Veganize
Great recipe. It's flexible enough to be made vegan too! I used Ener-g Egg Replacer, almond milk, and margarine and topped it with some maple syrup. Comfort food at it's finest. Thank you!
- 8 slices homemade-type bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs with milk.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla, orange juice, and salt until well combined.
- Heat about 2 tsp.of butter in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Dip bread in egg mixture and lay in butter.(not you-the bread!).
- Reduce heat to medium and cook bread a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- (My pan holds 2 pieces at a time.) Repeat with remaining bread, adding more butter to skillet, as needed.