Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found the original recipe on a McCalls recipe card. I like it smothered in corn syrup.
Make and share this French Toast recipe from Food.com.
- 8 slices homemade-type bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Beat eggs with milk.
- Stir in sugar, vanilla, orange juice, and salt until well combined.
- Heat about 2 tsp.of butter in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Dip bread in egg mixture and lay in butter.(not you-the bread!).
- Reduce heat to medium and cook bread a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- (My pan holds 2 pieces at a time.) Repeat with remaining bread, adding more butter to skillet, as needed.
Great recipe. It's flexible enough to be made vegan too! I used Ener-g Egg Replacer, almond milk, and margarine and topped it with some maple syrup. Comfort food at it's finest. Thank you!
GREAT recipe. Didnt use the melted butter. I did however butter each piece when finished and sprinkled cinnamon over the top. I will try the original directions next time. I am interested in the change. Very easy to make, everyone should try this recipe out. Im going to add it to my cookbook.
Made this for our own champagne brunch this morning. I used a hearty whole grain bread and added a little cinnamon to the egg mixture...WOW! This was delicious! My DH gobbled up every last bite! Wonderful french toast recipe! Thanks!