Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve warm with maple syrup. (This recipe is from the book "The Vegan Sourcebook".)
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast, flaked (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup plain soymilk or 1 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- Place the dry ingredients in a medium mixting bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Pout the milk into the flour and whisk vigorously until well blended.
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Oil a skillet or griddle and heat it over medium-high.
- Mix the batter again.
- Dip the bread slices, one at a time, into the batter, making sure that both sides are well saturated.
- Cook 3 to 5 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned, then turn over and cook the other side until browned.
I just "liked" this recipe hence the 3 stars. I wish I could find something that had the texture of real french toast without the eggs. The missing eggs really make the difference, but this was the best eggless french toast that I've eaten so far. I used regular white flour as I didn't have whole wheat flour and I didn't use the yeast b/c I didn't have any. I also used rice milk b/c I don't drink soy milk. I also used Pepperidge Farms Oatmeal Bread (60 calories/slice). The toast was a bit flat, but when you are watching calories, this worked out just fine. My DD is still eating hers and seems to really like it. The recipe was fairly simple to make and easy. When I did my first slice, I used oil, but it was too greasy for me so I wiped out my pan and added the next slice. It worked fine without any oil and didn't stick like I thought it would. Then I sprayed some pam in the pan for the last 3 slices and that worked great too! Thanks for the eggless recipe. You might want to add this recipe to the eggless category. I was looking up Masala French Toast and this was one of the first few ones on the page. The only reason why I clicked on the link was because I saw "Vegan" in your description. However, I normally search "Eggless" in my titles and this one does not show in the results. You might get more hits that way. And, I'm adding my pics, but they are bit fuzzy...not sure what is wrong with my camera!
wow this was great i eat it every day!!