Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
Makes for a homey family breakfast
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices white bread
- confectioners' sugar, to serve
- maple syrup, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°F Preaheat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl until foamy. Whisk in the milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Grease the griddle or skillet.
- Dip the bread slices in the batter for a few seconds on each side and place on the griddle. Cook, flipping once with a spatula, untili golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes total. Don't let the griddle smoke; adjust the heat as needed. As the slices cook, place on an ovenproof plate to keep warm in the oven.
- Sprinkle the French toast lightly with the confectioners' sugar and serve with syrup at the table if desired.
Nice recipe, my French Toast came out great. I did cut the amount of eggs in half to 2, and increased the cinnamon to 1 tsp.
I've used the same ingredients from a "Joy of Cooking" recipe for years. The only difference is the JofC recipe calls for 1 to 2 eggs with 1/2 tsp salt, and 2/3 to 1 cup of milk.