1/1 Photo of French Toast 2.0
Found this recipe in the Express Jet airline magazine while I was on a trip. The article said that the bread is best if stale so that it will absorb more of the egg. ***I have no idea how many servings this makes because there was no yield on the recipe.*** I have not made this and it sounds VERY sweet for my tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf unsliced white bread or 1 loaf brioche bread or 1 loaf challah
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/3 cup honey, warmed
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 5/8 ounces chocolate candy bars
- 1Combine cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
- 2Add the Vanilla extract.
- 3In a bowl, whisk the eggs, half & half, vanilla, salt and honey until combined.
- 4Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 5Cut the bread into 1" thick slices.
- 6Cut each slice along the crust on two sides, making a pocket.
- 7Spoon the filling into the pockets being careful not to overfill.
- 8Slide a couple chocolate pieces into the center of the pocket and press slightly to seal.
- 9Soak each slice into the mixture for 30 seconds per side.
- 10Set on a cooling rack for 2 minutes to allow full absorption.
- 11Add butter to a skillet and melt until foamy.
- 12Cook slices briefly until golden on each side.
- 13Return to cooling rack.
- 14Slide cooling rack into the oven for 10-15 minutes to bake the centers. (Put a cookie sheet underneath to catch the drippings for a less messy oven!).
- 15Serve warm plain or with toppings such as syrup or powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Toast 2.0
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.9
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 170.8 mg
- Sodium 489.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 11.1 g