Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
Found this recipe in the Express Jet airline magazine while I was on a trip. The article said that the bread is best if stale so that it will absorb more of the egg. ***I have no idea how many servings this makes because there was no yield on the recipe.*** I have not made this and it sounds VERY sweet for my tastes.
- 1 loaf unsliced white bread or 1 loaf brioche bread or 1 loaf challah
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup honey, warmed
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 5⁄8 ounces chocolate candy bars
- butter (optional)
- syrup (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
- Add the Vanilla extract.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, half & half, vanilla, salt and honey until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the bread into 1" thick slices.
- Cut each slice along the crust on two sides, making a pocket.
- Spoon the filling into the pockets being careful not to overfill.
- Slide a couple chocolate pieces into the center of the pocket and press slightly to seal.
- Soak each slice into the mixture for 30 seconds per side.
- Set on a cooling rack for 2 minutes to allow full absorption.
- Add butter to a skillet and melt until foamy.
- Cook slices briefly until golden on each side.
- Return to cooling rack.
- Slide cooling rack into the oven for 10-15 minutes to bake the centers. (Put a cookie sheet underneath to catch the drippings for a less messy oven!).
- Serve warm plain or with toppings such as syrup or powdered sugar.