Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour (stir to aerate before measuring)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, cold and firm, cut into small pieces (1 stick)
- 1 cold egg
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- Fit bowl of food processor with the metal blade; add in the flour, sugar, salt, and butter.
- Process on/off for 10 seconds (ten 1 second pulses) until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the egg and water to a small bowl; beat to mix.
- Through the feed tube, add the egg/water mixture and continue to process briefly (about 20 seconds) only until the mixture barely (but not completely) holds together.
- Turn mixture out onto a large unfloured board or smooth work surface; knead briefly (only a few seconds) until the mixture is smooth and holds together; press the mixture together to form a ball.
- Smooth the sides and flour it lightly.
- *Unless the kitchen is terribly hot, or unless you have handled the mixture too much (enough to melt the butter), it is not necessary to refrigerate this before using; if you must, refrigerate it for only about an hour or less; if it is refrigerated too long it will crack when you roll it out.
- Roll out and fit into tart pan.