Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The pastry is made with butter, which gives it a rich crumbly result
Make and share this French Tart Pastry recipe from Food.com.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the butter, Rub into the flour until mixtureresembles fine bread crumbs.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons ice water. Add to the flour mixture. With a fork, toss gently to mix and moisten.
- Press the dough into a rough ball. If it is too dry, add 1 tablespoon water. Turn onto the work surface or a pastry board.
- With the heel of your hand, push small portions of dough away from you, smearing them on the surface.
- Continue moxing the dough in this way until it feels pliable and can be peeled off the surface easily.
- Press the dough into a smooth ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
I have made many pies and tarts using this versatile recipe. I usually add a teaspoon of sugar for sweet tarts. This crust is very easy to make and roll out while giving a tender and flaky result. I have used it both for goat cheese tarts and pecan pies with good results over and over. Blind baking for use in a pear frangiapane tart was easy without allot of puffing up. This crust is now my "go to" recipe!