Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Easy way to roast a chicken, great taste, with a different style sauce. Cook on a rack over roasting dish and cover with greaseproof paper. Makes a good weekday meal.
- Heat oven to 180c.
- Season the body cavity with the salt and pepper, add 1.5 oz butter, and 1 tsp of the tarragon. Close the cavity with a skewer or toothpick.
- Use the remaining butter to spread over the breast of the bird. Cover with large piece greaseproof paper.
- Place the bird on a rack over the roasting dish and add 2 cups of water. Cook for 1.5 hours or till juices run clear.
- In the meantime, mix the remaining tarragon in a saucepan with the 2 remaining cups of water, bring to a boil and simmer till the liquid has reduced by half.
- With a little water mix the cornstarch to a thin paste and whisk into the tarragon water to thicken it to make a sauce.
- Remove the bird from the pan and set aside.
- Whisk the liquid from the roasting pan into the sauce and add the cream.
- Pour some of the sauce over the bird.
- Serve the remaining sauce separately.
- Serve with boiled potatoes, glazed carrots and runner beans.
I found this recipe on the Le Creuset site. It's awesome and even simpler than this version. Wash & dry the chicken, rub with the EVOO sprinkle w/tarragon, out in dutch oven, put on lid, put in 350F oven and go do something for 2 rto 2 1/2 hours. Meat falls off the bones. Great right way or great for follow on meals. One of the few non-grilled chicken recipes I like.