Recipe by lauralie41
This salad is a twist on the classic salade nicoise with tuna. This can be individual servings or arranged on a platter and served family style. Nicoise olives are a small purplish-black variety or kalamata olives can be substituted. Add crusty french bread for a lovely meal. This recipe was adapted from a popular cooking magazine and posted for the 2006 Zaar World Tour - FRANCE.
Top Review by morgainegeiser
This salad has everything you can imagine in it, the hardest part about making this salad is gathering together all the ingredients. Only substitution I made was to use salad shrimp which are smaller and less expensive shrimps. This is a meal all by itself and we have leftovers for tomorrow. The dressing is a nice vinegarette. Next time I will try it with a different dressing, while this was good, I think a ginger based dressing might be nice.
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2⁄3 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled, and deveined
- 12 red potatoes, small about 3/4 pounds
- 1⁄2 lb French haricots vert
- cooking spray
- 5 cups salad greens, gourmet
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 cup red bell pepper, about 1 medium sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 medium tomatoes, medium, each cut into 6 wedges
- 14 ounces artichoke hearts, canned, drained and chopped
- 3 eggs, hard boiled, each sliced into quarters
- 1⁄2 cup nicoise olives or 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive
- 2 tablespoons capers
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare vinaigrette, turn on food processor and drop garlic thru chute. Process until minced and add broth along with next 7 ingredients. Process until well blended.
- For salad, combine 2 tablespoons vinaigrette and shrimp into a large ziploc bag. Seal refrigerate for 20 minutes, turning bag occasionally to coat shrimp.
- In a large saucepan add potatoes and cover with water. Bring water to a boil and cook 8 minutes. Add haricots verts to pan and cook for approximately 2 minutes longer or until haricots verts are tender crisp and potatoes are tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again and cut potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices. Set aside.
- Heat a large grill pan over medium high heat and coat with cooking spray. Remove shrimp from bag and discard marinade. Cook shrimp for approximately 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, haricots verts, greens, lettuce, bell pepper, tomatoes, and artichokes. Add remaining vinaigrette and toss gently. Place salad on serving platter, arrange shrimp and eggs over lettuce, sprinkle with olives and capers, serve immediately.