Recipe by French Tart
A delectable roasted fish and vegetable dish that is very popular in the South of France, especially Provence. I have listed Perch as the fish to use in this recipe, but Bream, John Dory, Halibut or Tilapia would also work very well. An elegant dinner dish, which needs very little attention, making it the perfect recipe for when you have company! Serve alongside poached or steamed seasonal vegetables, with wild rice or a simple salad.
Top Review by Satyne
I won't rate this since I deviated a fair bit, choosing to use a whole fish and putting all ingredients in together and just roasting for 30 minutes. Turns out I don't really like big chunks of fennel and tomatoes, only little chunks. My DH thought this was wonderful though, so I assure readers, this was just personal taste only. Thank you for sharing.
- 6 perch fillets
- 3 fennel bulbs, cut into quarters, reserving the fennel fronds for a garnish
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons dill
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as colombard
- 2 lemons, 1 sliced and 1 cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 250C/495F/Gas 9.
- Grease an attractive oven to table roasting dish or tray with a little of the olive oil. About 12" x 9" in size.
- Wash and pat the fillets of perch dry - set to one side.
- Place all the prepared vegetables, dill & coriander seeds into the tray/dish and pour on the remaining olive oil; mix well and season with salt & pepper.
- Roast for 30 - 45 minutes on the top shelf, until the vegetables are charred and nearly soft.
- Remove the vegetables carefully from the oven and turn the temperature down to 180C/375F/Gas 5.
- Place the fillets of perch on top of the vegetables.
- Pour the glass or cup of wine over the top of the fish & gently cover the fish fillets with some of the vegetables, so they do not dry out during cooking.
- Sprinkle the fennel seeds over the top and place 6 slices of lemon on top - to be cooked with the fish and vegetables.
- Return the fish and vegetable dish to the oven and cook for a further 15 - 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked and opaque white in colour.
- Sprinkle some chopped fennel fronds on top and serve with a wedge of lemon, seasonal vegetables and wild rice.