Recipe by Judikins
Oh my, was this a tasty dish! Isn't it amazing how the really OLD recipes still kick our taste buds. This is from a 1943 edition of Ladies Home Journal Recipe Book, but has definitely gotten my approval for the test of time. Try it and see if you agree!!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen baby peas
- 1 large onion, sliced (I use the sweet ones)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in butter and sugar.
- When onion is transparent, add the washed lettuce, peas and a few tablespoons of water.
- Cook until about half done, season with salt and pepper.
- Continue cooking until peas are done, BEING CAREFUL NOT TO OVER COOK.
- Serve immediately.