Prep 7 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious, light as a feather French-style pancakes/crepes! For variation, try adding vanilla, rose water, orange blossom water, finely grated lemon, orange or mandarin rind, sliced bananas, blueberries or any type of liqueur (Anisette or Brandy is particularly French and tasty) to the batter. Fill with my Persian Sugar With Walnuts & Rose Water - Topping/Filling then roll them up crepe style. Awesome! Or, make the pancakes small and top each pancake with a heaped teaspoon of creme fraiche and a teaspoon of rose petal jam: romantic and lovely! At the table, pass around quartered lemons, powdered sugar, warmed maple syrup or my homemade lavender honey (see Homemade Lavender Honey), and whipped cream accompanied with bowls of fresh berries and edible fresh flowers such as rose petals or lavender flowers. And, pancakes/ crepes are wonderful drizzled with flavored syrups (especially orange blossom or rose water syrup) with a little lemon juice added. I hope you enjoy! Recipe adapted from "Modern French Classics" by Camille Le Foll.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg (separated)
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup single cream (light)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- butter (for cooking) or shortening (for cooking)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rose water or 1 teaspoon orange flower water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemons, orange or 1 teaspoon mandarin orange peel
- 2 tablespoons your favorite liqueur (such as Anisette or brandy)
- 1 cup sliced banana
- 1 cup fresh preferably wild blueberries, blotted dry
- lemon wedge
- fresh berries
- powdered sugar
- softened butter
- warm maple syrup
- flavored syrup, infusion (see Cottage Garden Rose-Petal Syrup (Sweetened Rose Water) and Lemon Verbena and Herbal Simple Syrups for Lemonade Etc!)
- lavender honey (see Homemade Lavender Honey)
- fresh lavender flowers, for garnish
- fresh rose petals, for garnish
- fresh orange blossom fresh edible flower, for garnish
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, vigorously beat the egg yolk with the cream, melted butter and milk. Add cream mixture to the flour mixture and whisk to obtain a smooth batter. Add any optional ingredients (see variations above) at this stage, whisking to combine.
- Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature. (Meanwhile, let egg whites come to room temperature).
- Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks and gently fold into the batter.
- Heat frying pan or griddle to medium heat. Add butter or shortening (I use Crisco butter flavor shortening) to coat well.
- Spoon equal amounts of batter onto griddle and cook until bubbles come to surface and edges look almost done.
- Flip and cook for a few seconds more, until golden.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with softened butter and warmed maple syrup, flavored syrup infusions, lavender honey, lemon wedges, fresh berries, and/or a dusting of powdered sugar. Or (my favorite!), fill pancakes with a mixture of 1 3/4 cups finely chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons rose water, then roll up crepe style--delicious! Or, make pancakes small and top each with a dollop of creme fraiche and a teaspoonful of rose petal jam.
- Garnish with rose petals, orange blossoms, or fresh lavender flowers.
- TIPS:Make sure the frying pan is well greased when making pancakes. Wipe around the pan with a small wad of paper towel soaked in fat (I use butter flavored Crisco) between making each pancake.