Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
In' Luscious Creamy Desserts' by Lori Longbottom; posted for my mom, the adventurous baker :-)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- powdered sugar
- fresh strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the pastry: whisk together the flour and salt in a big bowl; with a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles small crumbs.
- Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition, until the dough just comes together if a small bit is pressed between your fingers; do not overmix.
- Shape the dough into a disk; wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or for up to 2 days (if it has been chilled overnight or longer, let the dough stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before rolling it out).
- On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll the pastry into a 14-inch round.
- Fold the pastry in half and transfer it to an 11-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Unfold the pastry and gently press it into the bottom and up the sides of the pan with your fingertips.
- Trim the overhanging pastry to 1 inch.
- Fold the overhang in and then press the dough against the sides of the pan so it extends about 1/4 inch above the rim; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Press a piece of heavy-duty foil snugly into the bottom and up the sides of the pastry shell and fill with uncooked rice or dried beans; bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and rice, and bake for 8-10 minutes longer, until golden (if the shell puffs up during baking, gently press it down with the back of a spoon); let cool on a wire rack; decrease oven temperature to 350°.
- Make the filling: whisk together the eggs, sugar, orange zest, lemon zest, orange juice, lemon juice, and salt in a medium bowl until well combined; whisk in the creme fraiche.
- Carefully pour the filing into the cooled tart shell; place on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until the edges are set but the center is still slightly jiggly; cool completely on a wire rack.
- To serve, remove the side of the pan and cut into wedges; you may dust the tart with powdered sugar and serve with fragrant ripe strawberries.