Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A very rich and spicy hot chocolate!
Make and share this French Style Hot Chocolate recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate pieces
- 4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped for topping
- Melt chocolate in 1 cup of milk, over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add remaining milk and half and half, followed by remaining ingredients, except vanilla and almond extract.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until completely heated.
- Stir in vanilla and almond extract.
- Serve with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.
This was good, buta little too "kicked up" for my family.The main complaint was that it had too much cinnamon. If I cut that back, I think it would be perfect. Very smooth and creamy otherwise. Thanks!!
Like the chef who has shared this recipe, I have dietary restrictions that required me to make a number of substitutions to reduce the calories and fat. So while I can't comment on the richness or creaminess of the recipe, I can comment and will on the combination of spices and flavors which were just wonderful. The combination of cinnamon and chocolate are a long favorite of mine, but the addition of nutmeg allspice and extracts made this really special. Such a delightful treat as the temperature continues to dip. Thanks Annacia.
Rich and thick and chocolately and kicked up a notch.