1/4 Photos of French Stuffed Red Bell Peppers With Fennel and Goat's Cheese
1 hr 45 mins
French Tart's Note:
One of my most popular vegetarian recipes at "Auberge de la Fontaine" and also great served as a starter too. There is something very theraputic about making this dish - choosing the plump red peppers & fresh fennel bulbs - then selecting a fine Chevre - goat's cheese! It is delicious served warm or at room temperature with the garlicky Balsamic vinegar & olive oil dressing they are roasted in, drizzled over the top. Mop up the juices with crusty fresh French bread and serve with a simple tossed salad. These also make a very colourful accompaniment for most main courses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large red peppers, trimmed & halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 large red onion, peeled & cut into wedges
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed & cut into wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- black pepper
- 3 -4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained & chopped finely
- 200 g log goat's cheese
- 1Pre-heat the oven to 120C/240F/Gas 1.
- 2Cut the peppers in half, discard the core & seeds and also trim away the white membrane too.
- 3Grease a Le Creuset roasting or ovenproof dish.
- 4Cut the onion & fennel bulb into 6 wedges each. (Keep the the delicate green fronds from the fennel bulb & put to one side.).
- 5Put the onion wedges, fennel wedges & cushed garlic into a mixing bowl & add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & black pepper - mix well.
- 6Divide the onion & fennel wedges between the 6 pepper halves, arranging them neatly within the peppers & season well.Pour the remaining oil & vinegar dressing over the top of them.
- 7Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the peppers are soft & just tinged brown.
- 8Remove the stuffed peppers from the oven & increase the oven temperature to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- 9Sprinkle the chopped sun-dried tomatoes over the top of the peppers.
- 10Slice the goats cheese & arrange over the top of the stuffed peppers; return them the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted & bubbling.
- 11Remove from the oven, leave to cool slightly and serve them warm or at room temperature with the cooked dressing drizzled over the top of them.
- 12Garnish with the green fronds kept from the fennel bulbs.
- 13Serve as a starter, 1 pepper half per person with a side salad or as a main course - 2 pepper halves per person with bread & salad.
- 14These can also be served as a very colourful & elegant vegetable accompaniment!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Stuffed Red Bell Peppers With Fennel and Goat's Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.9
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 52.6 mg
- Sodium 397.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 17.7 g