Prep 3 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
This is out of this world! MUCH better than the norm...
- 2 medium cabbage (tough outer leaves removed)
- 3⁄4 lb swiss chard (stemmed)
- 3⁄4 lb salt pork
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (drained, squeezed dry)
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas (thawed)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 lbs bulk sausage
- chicken stock (as needed)
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Blanch cabbages 10-15 minutes, removing loose leaves as they fall off. Drain well.
- Blanch chard 2 minutes. Drain. Chop.
- Blanch salt pork 5 minutes. Drain. Chop.
- Heat butter in a skillet.
- Add salt pork and onion. Saute 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add chard, tomatoes, rice, peas, garlic and sausage.
- Spread out cabbage leaves. Remove inner core. Fill with mix, evenly.
- Roll up and secure tightly with toothpicks.
- Tie all in a large cheesecloth.
- Cover. Chill 2 hours.
- Place in a large pot. Cover with chicken stock. Season heavily.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce. Cover. Simmer 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove from stock. Un-wrap. Place in dishes.
- Top with a litle stock.