1/1 Photo of French String Beans/ Green Beans, Tomato & Basil Salad
Polar Bear's Note:
Hey Vegetarians and Side Salad hunters, here's a recipe for you ! This is a Jacques Pepin recipe. This is a family favorite. Just think of all the VITAMINS! If you follow the directions carefully, you will have a mouthwatering, beautifully arranged salad of green, white, and red on a plate. Enjoy !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place approximately 1/2 inch of water in a medium-sized stainless steel saucepan and add about 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3Add the string beans.
- 4Cover and bring to a strong boil for 5 minutes.
- 5They just turn crunchy, cooked and a wonderful green (not brownish!).
- 6Using a skimmer, lift the beans from the pan and spread them on a large plate to cook off.
- 7Toss the beans with 2 tbsp white wine vinegar and oil.
- 8Season and set aside.
- 9Peel the tomatoes if desired but it is not necessary.
- 10Slice crosswise very thinly.
- 11Place the seasoned string beans in the center of a large platter and arrange the slices of tomatoes around.
- 12Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- 13Tomatoes need a lot of salt.
- 14Then sprinkle with vinegar and oil.
- 15Wash the fresh basil leaves and separate the leaves.
- 16Pile the largest leaves together.
- 17Roll the leaves into a tight bundle and slice them into very thin, long strips.
- 18Cut the onion into very thin slices and separate the slices into individual rings.
- 19With the beans at the center of the plate, sprinkle the onions on top, surround the green beans with tomato slices, and then arrange the sliced basil leaves around it forming a border.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French String Beans/ Green Beans, Tomato & Basil Salad
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.3
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 14.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 3.6 g