1/5 Photos of French Soupe Au Pistou
From Organic Gardening magazine(1985). A lovely soup made delicious with pesto. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, in 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock or 2 1/2 quarts vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked large white beans (If using cans,with liquid. If using dry beans use 1 cup dry beans, reserve 2 cups cooking liquid) or 2 cups chickpeas (If using cans,with liquid. If using dry beans use 1 cup dry beans, reserve 2 cups cooking liquid)
- 1/2 cup vermicelli or 1/2 cup other thin noodles, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1In a heavy pot (about 8-quart size), combine green beans, onions, potatoes, tomatoes and stock.
- 2Bring to a boil, then simmer until beans and potatoes are crisp tender.
- 3Add the cooked white beans with their cooking water (or liquid from cans) and vermicelli, and simmer until the vermicelli is just tender.
- 4Combine the basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a blender or processor, and puree.
- 5Stir this paste into the soup, bit by bit.
- 6Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- 7After the sauce has been added, the soup may be warmed, but not boiled.
- 8Serve with hot or toasted slices of French bread.
- 9To freeze: Prepare soup up to the point of adding pesto. Cool. Place in a rigid freezer container. Seal. Place pesto in a freezer bag. Seal. Attach to the top of the freezer container with tape. Label and freeze.
- 10To serve: Thaw in fridge. Reheat soup on stovetop until boiling. Turn down heat and add pesto to taste. Enjoy.
- 11For Vegetarian use vegetable broth and a vegetarian parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Soupe Au Pistou
Serving Size: 1 (5260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.3
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 4.2 mg
- Sodium 170.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: