From Organic Gardening magazine(1985). A lovely soup made delicious with pesto. Enjoy!
Make and share this French Soupe Au Pistou recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green beans, in 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 quarts vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked large white beans (If using cans,with liquid. If using dry beans use 1 cup dry beans, reserve 2 cups cooking liquid) or 2 cups chickpeas (If using cans,with liquid. If using dry beans use 1 cup dry beans, reserve 2 cups cooking liquid)
- 1⁄2 cup vermicelli or 1⁄2 cup other thin noodles, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, firmly packed
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- In a heavy pot (about 8-quart size), combine green beans, onions, potatoes, tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until beans and potatoes are crisp tender.
- Add the cooked white beans with their cooking water (or liquid from cans) and vermicelli, and simmer until the vermicelli is just tender.
- Combine the basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a blender or processor, and puree.
- Stir this paste into the soup, bit by bit.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- After the sauce has been added, the soup may be warmed, but not boiled.
- Serve with hot or toasted slices of French bread.
- To freeze: Prepare soup up to the point of adding pesto. Cool. Place in a rigid freezer container. Seal. Place pesto in a freezer bag. Seal. Attach to the top of the freezer container with tape. Label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge. Reheat soup on stovetop until boiling. Turn down heat and add pesto to taste. Enjoy.
- For Vegetarian use vegetable broth and a vegetarian parmesan cheese.