4 hrs 30 mins
Bittersweet chocolate and Dutch-process cocoa meld with a shot of fresh brewed coffee to give an ultra-rich flavor to this creamy French silk pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 30 chocolate wafers
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons powdered egg whites
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with cooking spray.
- 2To prepare crust: Combine chocolate wafers and dates in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add water and oil and process until moistened. Press into the bottom and sides of the prepared pan.
- 3Bake the crust until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4To prepare filling & garnish: Combine coffee and water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and set aside to soften.
- 5Whisk egg, milk, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and cocoa in a small saucepan until smooth. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the mixture come to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Add the reserved gelatin mixture; stir until dissolved. Add chocolate and vanilla, stirring until melted. Set aside to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- 6Beat reconstituted egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until frothy. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 5 tablespoons brown sugar, beating until the meringue is smooth and glossy.
- 7Whisk one-fourth of the meringue into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Scrape the chocolate mixture into the remaining meringue and fold in with a whisk. Spoon the filling into the crust and chill, uncovered, until set, about 3 hours.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Silk Pie
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.1
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 157.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 18.3 g
- Protein 5.4 g