1 hr 30 mins
Although eaten refrigerated, not frozen, this rich dessert melts in your mouth like ice cream! One of it's special assets is being able to make it ahead and freeze to have on hand for special occasions. Mother made this often, and it is still my favorite dessert. Cooking time includes chilling time. Variation: For Gluten-intolerant people: Omit pie crust and spoon filling into individual parfait glasses and garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, baked (omit for parfait only)
- 1/2 cup real butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1Bake pie crust according to package directions for a pie that will contain a refrigerated filling. Filling is not cooked.
- 3Melt 1 ounce baking chocolate (See NOTE below).
- 4With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together for at least 5 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- 5(This step is very important to the final texture of this dessert).
- 6Add melted chocolate and vanilla extract and mix well.
- 7Wash and dry the two raw eggs. Add two eggs, one at a time, beating 5 minutes after each addition, until mixture is thick and creamy.
- 8Pour into baked pie crust.
- 9Garnish with shavings from the 1/2 ounce chocolate square.
- 10Or melt chocolate and drizzle over the pie.
- 11Chill at least 1-2 hours or until well set.
- 12Because this is very rich, cut into at least 12 slices.
- 13This pie freezes well for up to 3 months.
- 14Just thaw several hours in the refrigerator and serve.
- 15For real decadence, spread a layer of non-dairy topping over filling before garnishing with chocolate.
- 16NOTE: Easy Way to Melt Chocolate: Place chocolate in a small bowl; place bowl on drip coffee maker burner until melted.
- 17It is just the right temperature to melt chocolate without scorching it, unless left on burner much too long.
- 18Note: Because of the raw eggs. this pie is not recommended for very young children, very elderly people, or people with impaired immune systems.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Silk Chocolate Pie (Or Parfait)
Serving Size: 1 (50 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.4
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 55.5 mg
- Sodium 144.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g