Recipe by BeachGirl
Although eaten refrigerated, not frozen, this rich dessert melts in your mouth like ice cream! One of it's special assets is being able to make it ahead and freeze to have on hand for special occasions. Mother made this often, and it is still my favorite dessert. Cooking time includes chilling time. Variation: For Gluten-intolerant people: Omit pie crust and spoon filling into individual parfait glasses and garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings!
Top Review by LAURIE
Beachgirl...OMG...this is to die for! Please anyone trying this use egg substitute as raw uncooked eggs are not a good idea to use here. There was no difference in anything except for your safety. Excellant pie and I recommend topping with cool whip too! May as well add a couple more pounds!
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, baked (omit for parfait only)
- 1⁄2 cup real butter
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake pie crust according to package directions for a pie that will contain a refrigerated filling. Filling is not cooked.
- Melt 1 ounce baking chocolate (See NOTE below).
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together for at least 5 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- (This step is very important to the final texture of this dessert).
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Wash and dry the two raw eggs. Add two eggs, one at a time, beating 5 minutes after each addition, until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Pour into baked pie crust.
- Garnish with shavings from the 1/2 ounce chocolate square.
- Or melt chocolate and drizzle over the pie.
- Chill at least 1-2 hours or until well set.
- Because this is very rich, cut into at least 12 slices.
- This pie freezes well for up to 3 months.
- Just thaw several hours in the refrigerator and serve.
- For real decadence, spread a layer of non-dairy topping over filling before garnishing with chocolate.
- NOTE: Easy Way to Melt Chocolate: Place chocolate in a small bowl; place bowl on drip coffee maker burner until melted.
- It is just the right temperature to melt chocolate without scorching it, unless left on burner much too long.
- Note: Because of the raw eggs. this pie is not recommended for very young children, very elderly people, or people with impaired immune systems.