Recipe by coconutty
Posted here for safekeeping. Here is the basic recipe with suggested garnishes on the serving plate. The amount of butter and/or cream is given as in the original recipe for historical interest and for anyone wishing to try the fully loaded classic version.
Top Review by Baby Kato
What a great recipe coconutty. It was quick and easy to make with terrific results. I made your basic version with milk, cream and butter, garnished with a little shredded Jarlsberg cheese. I served the creamy, well flavored scrambled eggs inside folded naan bread. Wow, was it terrific, thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe.
- 8 eggs (or 7 eggs and 2 egg yolks)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 teaspoons water or 4 teaspoons milk
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons whipping cream or 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons softened butter
- parsley sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggs, salt and pepper, and liquid in a mixing bowl and beat for 20-30 seconds.
- Smear bottom and sides of pan with butter. Pour in the eggs.
- Cook over moderately low heat, stirring slowly and continuously, reaching all over bottom of pan. Nothing will seem to happen for the first 2-3 minutes. Suddenly the eggs will begin to thicken into a custard. Stir rapidly, moving pan on and off heat, until they have almost thickened to your desired consistency.
- Remove from heat immediately – the eggs will continue to cook slightly.
- As soon as they have reached the desired consistency, add the enrichment (butter or cream), which will stop the cooking. Season to taste, arrange on plates and garnish with parsley.
- Aux Fines Herbes: Beat a tablespoon of minced fresh herbs such as parsley, chervil, chives and tarragon into eggs at the beginning. Sprinkle on more herbs just before serving.
- Au Fromage: Stir 4-6 T. grated Swiss cheese into eggs along with the enrichment butter at the end.
- Aux Truffes: Stir 1 or 2 diced truffles into eggs before scrambling. Sprinkle a bit of chopped truffle over eggs before serving.
- Garnishings: ham, bacon, sausages, broiled or sauteed mushrooms, kidneys, chicken livers, sauteed eggplant or zucchini, broiled tomatoes, piperade, diced sauteed potatoes, buttered peas, asparagus tips, artichoke hearts.