1/5 Photos of French Scrambled Eggs, Adapted from Julia Child
Posted here for safekeeping. Here is the basic recipe with suggested garnishes on the serving plate. The amount of butter and/or cream is given as in the original recipe for historical interest and for anyone wishing to try the fully loaded classic version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place eggs, salt and pepper, and liquid in a mixing bowl and beat for 20-30 seconds.
- 2Smear bottom and sides of pan with butter. Pour in the eggs.
- 3Cook over moderately low heat, stirring slowly and continuously, reaching all over bottom of pan. Nothing will seem to happen for the first 2-3 minutes. Suddenly the eggs will begin to thicken into a custard. Stir rapidly, moving pan on and off heat, until they have almost thickened to your desired consistency.
- 4Remove from heat immediately – the eggs will continue to cook slightly.
- 5As soon as they have reached the desired consistency, add the enrichment (butter or cream), which will stop the cooking. Season to taste, arrange on plates and garnish with parsley.
- 7Aux Fines Herbes: Beat a tablespoon of minced fresh herbs such as parsley, chervil, chives and tarragon into eggs at the beginning. Sprinkle on more herbs just before serving.
- 8Au Fromage: Stir 4-6 T. grated Swiss cheese into eggs along with the enrichment butter at the end.
- 9Aux Truffes: Stir 1 or 2 diced truffles into eggs before scrambling. Sprinkle a bit of chopped truffle over eggs before serving.
- 10Garnishings: ham, bacon, sausages, broiled or sauteed mushrooms, kidneys, chicken livers, sauteed eggplant or zucchini, broiled tomatoes, piperade, diced sauteed potatoes, buttered peas, asparagus tips, artichoke hearts.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Scrambled Eggs, Adapted from Julia Child
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.3
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 394.9 mg
- Sodium 194.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 12.7 g