Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Julia Child says, "A handsomely arranged combination salad can be the solution for what to serve at an informal spur-of-the-moment meal. The trick is to toss all of the elements separately in vinaigrette, letting some marinate for 10-20 minutes if they need to take on flavor. Then ... arrange your work of art, each part of it is perfectly seasoned."
Top Review by Teddy's Mommy
The temperatures here went from being 65F to 80F VERY quickly.. I had soup on the menu for last night but it was way to hot to do that. I had seen FT's picture of this recipe and it inspired me to try it. I love how the kidney bean, zucchini & mushroom mix came out! Mmm I could just eat that by itself, and might at a later date. Few recipes actually leave me with "happy tummy" we both had "happy tummy" after eating this for dinner last night. I was extremely overheated after working in the garden and this actually cooled me off and left me with a pleasant feeling. I admit.. I left out the anchovies but I'm not much of a fan of them. Thank you for sharing this GREAT recipe with us!
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup raw zucchini, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 1⁄2 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 12 pitted black olives
- anchovy, to taste
- 2 (6 ounce) canssolid albacore tuna, packed in water, drained
- coarsely chopped parsley
- balsamic vinaigrette, Bottled
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate kidney beans, zucchini, and mushrooms in vinaigrette for 20- 30 minutes.
- At serving time, toss mixed salad greens in a bowl with vinaigrette and arrange around edges of a large serving dish.
- Mound beans in center, and decorate base with groups of marinated mushrooms and zucchini interspersed with hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, olives, anchovies, and chunks of tuna.
- Pour a bit more vinaigrette over all, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve.
- Cooking time is marinade time.
- Delicious with grilled olive-oiled French bread and a chilled rosé wine.