Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Julia Child says, "A handsomely arranged combination salad can be the solution for what to serve at an informal spur-of-the-moment meal. The trick is to toss all of the elements separately in vinaigrette, letting some marinate for 10-20 minutes if they need to take on flavor. Then ... arrange your work of art, each part of it is perfectly seasoned."
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup raw zucchini, sliced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 1⁄2 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 12 pitted black olives
- anchovy, to taste
- 2 (6 ounce) canssolid albacore tuna, packed in water, drained
- coarsely chopped parsley
- balsamic vinaigrette, Bottled
- Marinate kidney beans, zucchini, and mushrooms in vinaigrette for 20- 30 minutes.
- At serving time, toss mixed salad greens in a bowl with vinaigrette and arrange around edges of a large serving dish.
- Mound beans in center, and decorate base with groups of marinated mushrooms and zucchini interspersed with hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, olives, anchovies, and chunks of tuna.
- Pour a bit more vinaigrette over all, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve.
- Cooking time is marinade time.
- Delicious with grilled olive-oiled French bread and a chilled rosé wine.
The temperatures here went from being 65F to 80F VERY quickly.. I had soup on the menu for last night but it was way to hot to do that. I had seen FT's picture of this recipe and it inspired me to try it. I love how the kidney bean, zucchini & mushroom mix came out! Mmm I could just eat that by itself, and might at a later date. Few recipes actually leave me with "happy tummy" we both had "happy tummy" after eating this for dinner last night. I was extremely overheated after working in the garden and this actually cooled me off and left me with a pleasant feeling. I admit.. I left out the anchovies but I'm not much of a fan of them. Thank you for sharing this GREAT recipe with us!
I didn't have zucchini or mushrooms, and I used white beans and regular vinegarette, but... This was really good. Such a pretty plate and the flavors combined and contrasted beautifully. Thanks Caroline.
I have to admit to being a little puzzled by the addition of the Kidney beans in a French salad - BUT, I added them anyway - and they were a surprising and very tasty addition to this salad - adding texture and bite! I was unable to add mushrooms or courgettes, so I added grated carrot instead; but I STUCK to the rest of the recipe, except for using green olives instead of black olives - Malcolm had scoffed them all!!! The salad was SO pretty and the marriage of flavours was lovely - much like a Salad Nicoise, without the green beans and potatoes! I made this for French Food & Foto Fun for the Photos Forum, and I can confidently say, I shall be making it again! Thanks Caro! FT:-)