Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
Note to readers: This method of cooking a cheap cut of beef is not difficult. Whether you want to try it depends entirely on your take on food safety. The roast needs to sit at room temperature until it reaches room temperature. Then it is seared and slow-roasted at a very low temperature for several hours. I have found this technique works beautifully because any bacteria, which normally do not penetrate deeply into the meat, are killed by the searing. Don't use this technique if this bothers you, please. Time does not include overnight resting time in refrigerator. Keeping the internal temperature of the roast below 122F allows the enzymes in the beef to break down connective tissue and tenderize the meat. This enzyme action stops at around 122F, though. Preheating the roasting pan and rack will help keep the external temperature of the seared meat steady.
- 5 lbs beef roast, eye round is good
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ground black pepper
- Sprinkle salt over roast. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 12 hours. Remove roast from refrigerator, unwrap, place on a wire rack in a shallow pan, cover and let sit until it reaches room temperature. Discard wrap.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F.
- Prepare another shallow pan with a wire rack in it. Place in oven to heat.
- Pat the roast dry, rub 1 T oil evenly over the meat. Pepper roast.
- In a heavy pan, cast iron is best, place remaining T of oil. Heat almost to smoke.
- With kitchen tongs, place the roast into hot pan. Sear on each side for 3-4 minutes each.
- Remove pan and roast from heat.
- Place roast on warmed rack in preheated oven.
- Use a probe thermometer to monitor temperature.
- You want to try to keep the internal temperature of the roast below 122 degrees. Adjust oven temperature as needed, or open door briefly, to keep that temperature down.
- For a medium rare roast, cook to 115, remove from oven. Turn oven off. (A 5 pound roast will take around 2 hours in my oven to reach 115 degrees.) Leave roast in oven until thermometer reaches 130 F for medium rare. This will take 30 to 50 minutes longer.
- If your roast is not coming up to temperature, turn the oven back on to 225 for 5 minutes, turn it off and finish.
- When roast is at 130 F, transfer to cutting board and let rest 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.