Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious way to roast lamb! The mustard and herb mixture spread over the lamb forms a delicious crust during roasting and helps to retain the meat juices and flavour.
- 800 g loin lamb, on the bone
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons whole grain french mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 egg white
- black pepper, freshly ground
- fresh rosemary (for garnishing)
- Trim ALL EXCESS fat from the lamb.
- (leave SOME fat on to protect the meat while cooking) Heat the butter in a small pan, add the onion and fry gently until soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard and chopped herbs.
- Whisk egg white until stiff.
- Add the mustard and herb mixture and fold together until combined.
- Place lamb on a rack in a roasting pan, and grind over with black pepper.
- Spread the egg-white mixture evenly over the top surface of the lamb.
- Roast the lamb for 50 minutes if you want it to be rare, 1 hour if you want it to be medium, or an hour and 10 minutes if you want it well done.
- Place lamb on a serving plate and LEAVE to rest for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with srigs of rosemary and thyme and slice down between the bones to serve.