Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderfully moist and tender chicken with a rich and flavourful sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (tarragon and flat-leafed parsley)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 4 lbs free-range chicken
- 1 lemon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 -3 sprigs mixed fresh herbs, to garnish
- roasted shallot, for garnish
- Beat the chopped herbs and garlic into the butter.
- Ease your fingers between the breast skin and flesh of the bird and spread the butter evenly over the flesh.
- Prick the lemon all over with a fork and place inside the bird.
- Put the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and pour the wine and 1 cup of stock over it.
- Roast in a preheated 375F oven for 1 1/2 hours or until the juices run clear, basting frequently and adding more stock if the pan becomes dry.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let stand, covered with a foil, for 10 minutes.
- Spoon off the fat from the pan, add the remaining stock, and boil, stirring, until slightly reduced.
- Garnish the chicken and serve hot, with the juices passed separately.
Very nice chicken - but we thought the herbs were a bit overpowering. I was trying to cook a French meal and I will cook this again, but leave the herbs out or maybe only use a teapoon instead of half a cup of herbs. I liked the idea of putting butter under the skin - will adapt for personal taste next time, but it was nice thanks.