Julie B's Hive's Note:
Rich, dark, decadent!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb, finely ground
- 1/3 cup dutch process cocoa
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9" springform pan with parchment paper; spray lightly with cooking spray.
- 2In small saucepan, combine molasses, corn syrup, brown sugar, diluted coffee, bourbon and vanilla extract. Stir well and place over medium heat. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and syrupy. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- 3In small bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat egg yolks about 2 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Slowly beat molasses syrup into yolks, continue beating until mixture is consistency of thick cream.
- 4In another small bowl, stir together almonds and bread crumbs. Sift cocoa powder into crumb mixture, stir to mix well. With rubber spatula, fold cocoa mixture into yolk mixture.
- 5Beat egg whites until frothy. Add salt and cream of tartar. Increase speed and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 egg whites into cocoa mixture. Gently fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake on middle rack of oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a thin skewer comes out fairly clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Remove from pan, peel off paper and sift confectioner's sugar over top of cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Quarter Chocolate Torte
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.4
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.2 mg
- Sodium 180.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 6.8 g