French Quarter Chocolate Torte
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9" springform pan with parchment paper; spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In small saucepan, combine molasses, corn syrup, brown sugar, diluted coffee, bourbon and vanilla extract. Stir well and place over medium heat. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and syrupy. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat egg yolks about 2 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Slowly beat molasses syrup into yolks, continue beating until mixture is consistency of thick cream.
- In another small bowl, stir together almonds and bread crumbs. Sift cocoa powder into crumb mixture, stir to mix well. With rubber spatula, fold cocoa mixture into yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add salt and cream of tartar. Increase speed and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 egg whites into cocoa mixture. Gently fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake on middle rack of oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a thin skewer comes out fairly clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Remove from pan, peel off paper and sift confectioner's sugar over top of cake.