I am posting this recipe on request of another member. I have never made it myself but she said it is very good so I will have to try now.
- 236.59 ml dry pinto beans
- 118.29 ml dried red kidney beans
- 118.29 ml dried garbanzo beans
- 680.38 g ham hocks
- 907.18 g tomatoes, cut up
- 354.88 ml celery, chopped
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.23 ml ground red pepper
- 226.79 g smoked sausage, sliced, cooked and drained
- 453.59 g chicken thigh
- 44.37 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- Rinse the beans.
- In a Dutch oven, combine the beans and enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Cover and let stand 1 hour. (Or you could just soak the beans over night.).
- Add 6 cups fresh water and the ham hocks.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the ham hocks.
- When cool enough to handle, cut off the meat and chop. Discard the bones.
- Return the meat to the bean mixture.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves and red pepper, then add the sliced sausage and chicken thighs.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 1 hour or until the chicken and beans are tender.
- Remove the chicken thighs and cool slightly.
- Remove the meat from the bones and chop.
- Discard the bones and return the meat to the soup.
- Add the parsley and remove the bay leaves.